Sometimes you will see the following message when trying to enter a service account when installing Web Active Directory products using the installer. “Server not found. Verify that the specified server exists. The server name can not be empty” This error is caused because the Computer Browser service is not running on the server where you are installing the product. You have two options to address this issue.
- Start the Computer Browser service so you can find the service account. You can turn this service off again once the installer finishes. The References section includes links to more information about the service.
- Skip the step and manually set the service account in the Admin section of the application once it is installed.
- Description of the Microsoft Computer Browser Service: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188001
- What Is Computer Browser Service?: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc787537(v=ws.10).aspx
- How Computer Browser Service Works: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737661(v=ws.10).aspx